Enter any store and mall, and there are already signs of the upcoming seasonal holidays. However, this season’s good cheer does not need to include tears, neck pain, shoulder pain, stress headaches, and a weakened immune system too. Let’s face it the combination of the wrong food, too much alcohol, late nights, rushing around carrying heavy bags, and, family stress, can all lead to physical overload, and stress or migraine headaches. So this season let’s plan to conquer this year’s holidays in better health.
Here are some great tips to keep you in tip-top condition for anything this holiday throws at you like…
Marathon Shopping – Yes, Even on Amazon
- Stay well-hydrated. Drink eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of water every day, and do not substitute any of that with coffee, tea, soft drinks, and alcohol, because those are diuretics and will end up robbing you of water.
- Stretch both before and after a long day of finding goodies on foot or the computer. Shopping can be stressful, and your muscles need all the help they can get to stay relaxed.
- When you are out shopping choose shoes for their comfort, not style. You will need plenty of cushioning to counteract those endless hours on your feet.
- Wear comfortable clothing as well, and, if it’s cold out, have a few layers so you can peel them off and pile them on as you move from the streets to the warm shop interiors and back out again.
- Keep your purse size small, and try to keep its contents to the bare minimum.
- Any slight aches and pains you feel after a day out shopping, grab an ice pack and apply to the affected area for 20 minutes, before removing for at least two hours. Repeat several times over the next day or two.
Carve Time to Relax
- When completing a marathon shop, take a break every 45 minutes, or more often if you feel the need.
- Park in a convenient location so that you may drop your bags in the trunk every so often.
- If you’re hungry, eat something light, or you may feel very sluggish when you resume shopping.
- Feeling like a Starbucks? Coffee may seem like a good idea as a quick pick-me-up, but it adds extra stress to the system. Try also to avoid soda. Stick with water.
Avoid Mixing A Headache Cocktail
- Children and extended shopping trips don’t go together. Not only will they tire before you do and want to go home, but they will also want to buy everything in every shop. That’s a double whammy of whining that’s going to stress you out. Try and get someone to look after them instead.
Ready To Conquer the Season!
Here at our practice, our expert team is ready to make sure your spine and body are in tip-top condition to not only to have the physical stamina to endure the season but to be able to battle the bustling crowds and conquer the overwhelming checklists.
Schedule a Quick and Easy Spinal Check-Up Today and Turbo Boost Your Immune System and Avoid Holiday Headaches!
For Your Health,
The BackFit Health + Spine Team